Monday, March 3, 2014

Word of the day: gallivant

From A.Word.A.Day, a word my mom likes, the intransitive verb gallivant, “to roam about in search of pleasure.”

A.Word.A.Day’s example of usage: “Lady Gaga, Kyle Richards, and Carlton Gebbia gallivant around the streets of Amsterdam in thigh-high boots and trench coats just past midnight” (Bradley Stern, “Jewels n’ Wives,” Time, February 12, 2014).

I am startled to discover that this post marks Lady Gaga’s fourth appearance in these pages. Kyle Richards and Carlton Gebbia? I have no idea who they are, and I’m keeping it that way.

comments: 3

Slywy said...

Oooo, great one. My mother used to ask me where I was gallivanting off to. I've not heard it since.

Michael Leddy said...

I’m grateful to know that you too heard this word. I wonder how it came to be in the air.

Anonymous said...

One should re-read Gallivant-er's Travels.