Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Manhattan is losing bookstores

The New York Times reports on the dwindling number of bookstores in Manhattan:

State data reveals that from 2000 to 2012, the number of bookstores in Manhattan fell almost 30 percent, to 106 stores from 150. Jobs, naturally, have suffered as well: Annual employment in bookstores has decreased 46 percent during that period, according to the state’s Department of Labor.
My favorite bookstores in Manhattan are The Corner Bookstore and St. Mark’s Bookshop.

comments: 4

Adair said...

I love Crawford Doyle Booksellers at 1082 Madison Ave. Posman Books inside Grand Central Station is a great store as well---only place I was able to find a desperately needed copy of The Wild Palms without special ordering. For used books I go to Strand as well as to the Housing Works Bookstore at 126 Crosby Street.

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks for these names, Adair. I was impressed by the Posman store in Chelsea Market last summer. I wonder how it is that I never discovered Crawford Doyle. Years ago I would take the bus back to NJ with two huge shopping bags from the Strand. Those were the days.

Adair said...

My wife does not allow me to visit the Strand too often, but when I do get to go I know that I have to take a back-pack with me. It is self-delusion to think that I will leave with only one or two books. It is an overwhelming store; I always emerge from it in an overheated, slightly disoriented state, greatly in need of a Martini at El Quijote bar on 23rd, right next to the Chelsea Hotel.

Michael Leddy said...

Does your wife know about the martinis? :)