Friday, February 21, 2014

Dropbox and the plain style

Dropbox has announced changes to its Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. From the announcement:

We care about having Terms of Service that are readable, give the right amount of context, and avoid unnecessary legalese, so we’ve updated our language to better match the permissions you give us with the features you use. For example, to provide you with document previews, our automated systems need permission to access and scan your stuff for those previews — so we explain this in the new Terms.
And from the new Terms:
When you use our Services, you provide us with things like your files, content, email messages, contacts and so on (“Your Stuff”). Your Stuff is yours. These Terms don’t give us any rights to Your Stuff except for the limited rights that enable us to offer the Services.
I like the plainness, and I like “Your Stuff.” This writing inspires trust.

If anyone would like to try Dropbox, here’s a referral link. An extra 500 MB for you; an extra 500 MB for me.

*

March 2, 2014: Dropbox’s plain Terms of Service ispired more trust on my part than they should have. Here is a good explanation of why a user should opt out of Dropbox’s arbitration procedures. To opt out, click this link and sign in — and soon. After accepting the new Terms of Service, a user has thirty days to opt out.

comments: 3

Stefan said...

This post gives me a good chance to say thanks, Michael, for the previous referral offer that you posted. I signed up and like Dropbox a lot. And I was glad that you and I got the extra space. It took me a while to trust that the stuff (My Stuff) I saved on my laptop would really be waiting for me in my office, but it was. It's convenient and weirdly fun.

Michael Leddy said...

And how. I like not having to carry a USB gadget. And on the road, Dropbox is hugely helpful. Enjoy!

Slywy said...

I like plain language for agreements. But I can't live without my Victorian literature of paragraph-sized sentences and colon after semicolon after colon!