Tuesday, August 2, 2011

What tastes like summer?

A lovely question from Karen Doherty at the Quo Vadis Blog: What tastes like summer?

Cherries. Good Humor Chocolate Eclair bars. Ham sandwiches and Maxwell House coffee, lots of milk and sugar (what my grandparents used to bring on trips to Coney Island). Italian ices. Plums.

[Summer = childhood.]

comments: 5

Geo-B said...

G & T, hands down.

Stefan said...

Bomb pops, my great aunt Alice's black cows (with neapolitan ice cream), and BLTs taste like summer to me. But the real reason for my comment is to guess that you put "Italian ices" next to "plums" in your list with WCW's "This Is Just to Say" in mind. Can a poem taste like summer? I'd say yes.

Elaine said...

Fresh sliced tomatoes;
Fresh figs;
Lemonade with fresh mint;
homemade peach ice cream.

I guess it's regional

Michael Leddy said...

Everything here sounds great.

Stefan, I was just being alphabetical, no deeper conscious intent.

Rachel said...

Watermelon, corn dogs, funnel cakes, snow cones, chocolate bars, peaches, cold salads.