Thursday, May 28, 2009

My Dinner with André: Criterion DVD

"I think if you could become fully aware of what existed in the cigar store next door to this restaurant, I think it would just blow your brains out."
At last: My Dinner with André (dir. Louis Malle, 1981) will be released on June 23 in a Criterion Collection edition. I've been waiting for this one for years.

comments: 6

Tom the Piper's Son said...

I'm awaiting a sale on the "My Dinner With Andre Action Figures" ala Waiting for Guffman's Corky St.Clare!
:)

("My Dinner..." is one of my favorites too)

Michael Leddy said...

Waiting for Guffman is another one of mine. "Everybody dance!"

Geo-B said...

I would never give up my electric blanket, Andre.

Michael Leddy said...

But Wally, don't you see that comfort can be dangerous?

Matt Thomas said...

Having watched this twice now, I gotta say, the electric blanket back and forth may be my favorite part of the whole movie, not only because it's funny and thought-provoking and still relevant, but because it's one of the few times when Wally and Andre engage in genuine dialogue. Also interesting: Andre's comments about new orders of monks preserving culture prefigure Morris Berman's Twilight of American Culture, a book I can't say enough good things about.

Michael Leddy said...

Same here re: Berman.

When I've shown the film to students, the blanket debate always prompts some discussion about iPods.