Friday, March 20, 2009

The Brooklyn National Anthem

Spring has sprung, the grass has riz.
I wonder where the birdies is.
My mom has recited these words, perhaps without knowing their borough-wide significance. Ladies and gentlemen, please rise for the Brooklyn National Anthem.

comments: 2

JuliaR said...

My Dad always used to say this! I think he got most of his quotes from the radio back in the late 30s. He especially liked "Slug Moiphy and his goil Piol was walkin' along toity-toid street, when what did dey see but toity-tree poiple boids choipin' and boipin' and eatin' doity woims. Was dey poitoib'd? Dey was." I am only guessing he got that from the radio - M&D are on a cruise right now and I can't ask him!

Michael Leddy said...

That sounds like a radio or vaudeville routine to me. It's nice to think of a time when women were named Poil.

I remember my grandparents saying "berl" for "boil" and "erl" for "oil."