Friday, April 8, 2005

3009 Q & A

3009 students: What's the most valuable thing you learned from reading The Grapes of Wrath?

To respond, click on the comments link below, and then click on Post a Comment. For your identity, choose Other. You can add your name or leave it blank if you prefer.

As replies come in, they'll be available to read by clicking on the comments link for this post.

comments: 3

robert lane said...

i learnt to say: "That sun's as hot as a prairy dog on heat, she's goin' to burn the living Jesus from ya." in a bad Mid-west accent on a hot day.

Mojoey said...

The funny thing is, I hated reading it at the time. It was high school in the 70's, my English teacher insisted we read it. I would rather have been doing anything else. I read it. I re-read it. I studied it. End the end; I discovered the value of metaphors. It was like walking into an unlit room and finding a light switch. Literature changed for me after I read The Grapes of Wrath. I matured as a reader.

The funny thing is, somebody just asked this same question on my blog. You can read about it here
if you like.

Best Regards,

Mojoey

Adam said...

The most valued idea that I discovered while reading The Grapes of Wrath was that of community. Over and over again we see people on the verge of hopelessness, yet there always is someone to pick up the pieces with a helpful hand. The idea that if I have little and you have nothing WE still have something is amazing, and the thought of this fading out of existence is disturbing. I hope that any reader of this novel will understand the importance of looking out for each other and helping out someone who needs. -damon